We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
Corporate and Government Affairs
The Corporate and Government Affairs team works closely with the U.S. government, as well as coordinating grassroots advocacy efforts, to represent United on public policy and legislative issues.
Job overview and responsibilitiesThe Director – Congressional Affairs represents United Airlines, its employees and its legislative goals before Congress.
- Coordinating with and assisting the SVP of Government Affairs.
- Monitoring hearings; monitoring the introduction and legislative process of pertinent bills.
- Helping to draft legislative or report language when necessary; negotiating legislative language with stakeholders; assisting in the development and implementation of legislative strategies and campaigns to advance United’s business and corporate interests.
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with lawmakers, key staff and stakeholders; assisting in decision-making related to the PAC and in attending political events.
- Supporting corporate events and helping to communicate with other UA work groups; developing and implementing executive leadership and employee visits to DC.
- Driving and supporting success on major federal legislation and policy initiatives that support UA’s business agenda, including: taxes; environmental legislation; security, maintenance, passenger and consumer issues and pursuit of competitive regulatory environment.
- Building relationships with all aviation stakeholders (Hill, unions, etc.) so as to create opportunities for United to build coalitions for certain key aviation issues that require broad support.
- Engaging with and providing guidance to a team of well-respected, highly accomplished outside key consultants/lobbyists.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Law or Master’s degree preferred
- Substantive expertise with 7 years in legislative, regulatory and political process at the federal level of government or related field required
- Must be goal oriented confident self-starter who can work independently or in a team
- Superior writing and presentation skills
- Ability to clearly articulate goals and objectives and demonstrated ability to influence/collaborate
- Maturity and ability to drive change in a highly complex environment
- Ability to understand industry; share ideas and develop effective responses or elevate to higher management if appropriate
- Demonstrated leadership capability, including the ability to recruit, and motivate
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position