Now taking off: Your careerWhere do you want your career to take you? Chances are, you can get there with United Airlines. Our environment is open, honest, and focused on your success. So choose a career path. And rediscover what it's like to enjoy your job.Lead Principal Engineer - Project - WHQChicago, ILEqual Opportunity Employer by Choice.
Travel subject to service charges/restrictions. Bonuses awarded only under terms of United's policies.OverviewStudies, analyzes, and seeks solutions to problems related to the design, operation, maintenance, performance, modification, or repair of aircraft, and their components. Uses a structured, logical, and analytical approach in problem solving. Defines maintenance program, configuration, and serviceability criteria ensuring safe and legal operations. Analyzes and implements regulatory requirements. Evaluates the effects of modifications or new equipment on reliability and performance. Evaluates the benefits of the cost impact of a fleet decision to ensure an optimum balance of cost, asset utilization, quality, and reliability. Authors, designs, tests, and manages projects. Provides on-site technical support for line and base operations. Communicates with customers on technical issues, workscope recommendations, and failure investigations. Interfaces with internal and external organizations regarding specific aircraft and component issues.Lead position duties include but are not limited to review and approve technical engineering documents. Point of contact for AOG and out of service issues, along with preparation of the DOR data for major projects in area of responsibility. Provide daily department oversight and reporting for area of responsibility, approving OT, vacation, sick calls and general daily administration.Responsibilities
- Organize and manage priorities to accomplish the work processes to meet all the deliverables for projects, maintenance program changes and technical specification revisions.
- Lead position role justified.
- Coordinate warranty recovery on Service Bulletins which airframe or component manufacture is responsible.
- Ensure all modifications do not adversely affect the configuration of the aircraft or component.
- Repairs and/or modifications must also be evaluated to ensure no adverse effect on ETOPS, RVSM, CAT III, etc.
- Provides technical engineering services, recommendations and trouble-shooting support to other divisions and personnel involved with aircraft systems.
- Develop complex solutions and implementation plans, project justification, cost/benefit analysis, project implementation management, technical support and obtaining of FAA approvals.
- B.S. degree in Engineering or equivalent relative work experience required.
- Engineering skill sets which can be applied to a specific engineering discipline.
- These skills include, but are not limited to, analysis of complex technical issues, highly detailed level project development/management for regulatory compliance modifications, and overall ownership of specific systems.
- Successful candidate will also have exhibited traits related to detailed cost/benefit analysis of projects, as well as effectively engaging stakeholders cross-functionally.
- Successful candidate will also have exhibited effective communication skills.
- Knowledge of FARs, airworthiness design and substantiation criteria, aircraft and equipment design and operational characteristics, aircraft materials and processes required.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship.
- Regular attendance and punctuality in accordance with United's policies is required.
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualifications.