Director Data Services Engineering
The Director of Data Services Engineering is responsible and accountable for data stewardship and information management for the enterprise related to the MSSQL and NoSQL technologies. This position oversees the design, modeling, development and documentation of portfolio databases which provide applications with necessary data services. Possesses the technical expertise to provide leadership and manage the design and development of the organization’s data environment. Ensures the design of data repository systems (Big Data, data warehousing, operational data stores, etc) and the establishment of the appropriate linkages between existing databases, appropriate applications and other data processing systems. Ensures the development of a backup and recovery scheme and implementation of disaster recovery and business continuance procedures.
Provides thought leadership around data collection, taxonomy, persistence, logical and conceptual relationship of data in complex applications. This role drives database design and techniques for multiple platforms, covering areas such as feature, functionality, stability, performance and future roadmap.
This position establishes and is accountable for following best practices for database development. Establishes and is accountable for the processes necessary to achieve the desired application service levels for data integrity, performance and availability. This role is responsible for requirements capture, mapping and validation, database SDLC, data modeling, database design, database functionality delivery, development database administration.
Manage the interaction with peers on the business side to ensure the timely development of the big data roadmap so as to ensure that applications can be delivered that satisfy the demands of the business in a timely fashion.
Responsible for hiring, training and motivating employees to achieve the targeted productivity goals and delivery standards.
It is also the responsibility of this role to foster effective communications and working relationships between the database group and the various business portfolio leaders with which the group interacts.
This position reports to the Managing Director of Platform Engineering
- Defines and implements Data platform architectures and technical road maps that align with our the enterprises Data strategy
- Evolves the Enterprise Data Lake service and support of key projects implementing Data technologies
- Manages the enterprise Hadoop (or similar open source technologies) and associated environments to ensure that the service delivery is cost effective and business Service Level Agreements (SLAs) uptime, performance and capacity are met
- Research, select and defines Cloud technologies for structured (MS SQL) and unstructured data such as Amazon S3, Redshift, Azure, Google Cloud Storage/Cloud Bigtable
- Defines guidelines, standards, strategies, security policies and change management policies to support the Data platforms
- Researches and evaluates technical solutions including various Hadoop distributions, NoSQL databases, data integration and analytical tools with a focus on enterprise deployment capabilities like security, scalability, reliability, maintainability, etc.
- Advises and supports project teams (project managers, architects, business analysts, and developers) on tools, technology, and methodology related to the design and development of Data solutions
- Assess and Leverage legacy data connections/improvements to incorporate into modern Data Lake service
- Maintains knowledge of market trends and developments in Hadoop related tools, analytics software, and related and emerging technologies like cloud hosting services, Agile/DevOps development processes to provide, recommend, and deliver best practice solutions
- Manages and develops new data processes so as to enhance existing systems to support new requirements, including development of stored procedures, test and QA assurance harnesses, and release management
- Programs and implements best logical and physical modeling practices on various data platforms to cleanly integrate into existing enterprise data models; executing data model components to achieve efficient storage utilization and best query performance
- Gathers user interaction and requirements from internal customers and consults them on best practices to effectively use Big Data platforms as a data and computing resource; provides management best recommendations and follow on solutions to support programming maintenance and growth to achieve strategic and operational goals