This is a reposting of this position - please note updates to the job description.
We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
The Airport Operations department keeps operations at our airports running smoothly through planning, organization and supervision.
Job overview and responsibilities
Oversees United Airlines Safety Programs Regulatory Compliance to include both mainline and United Express rules and regulations. Primary responsibility for Operational Safety and Regulatory compliance to include CAL OSHA, FAA ground regulations and other regulatory agencies. The leader is responsible to have in-depth knowledge of OSHA/CAL OSHA and Corporate/local Safety requirements i.e. state, city. The leader must have a proven track record for decisive actions backed by strategic planning, continuous improvement, analytical thinking, goal-directed leadership and service-oriented performance. This leader will deliver results through leadership, direction, alignment and motivation. Manages a team of management and labor represented employees. This leader coordinates local safety efforts, serves as a subject matter safety expert and works with union leadership and coordinates responses to “ASAP” type program inquiries and reports. Serve as primary liaison with cross divisional enterprise at the Hub.
- Proactive Safety Management Including Managing Processes and Programs
- OSHA Compliance
- Safety Communication
- United Operating Procedures
- United Express Procedures
- Aircraft Damage and Employee Injury investigations
- Safety Manager Systems
Serves as key liaison with agencies including United Airlines Airport Operations, Air Transport Association, FAA, CAL OSHA and IATA on safety issues. Develops strategy and policies to comply with safety mandates; works in tandem with internal stakeholders from Airport Operations, Corporate Safety, Local Unions, airport frontline leadership and employees. Manages strategies and multiple initiatives in support of government mandates. Leads and directs team to research solutions, solicit vendor or station participation, sets direction and manages United’s tactical and strategic response to governmental agencies. Coordinates United’s response based on financial outcomes and dictated timelines. Interacts and presents recommendations to station senior leadership based on shared interest agenda to ensure mandates/initiatives support goals. Leads cross-functional teams to implement, plan, investigate and communicate initiatives and resolve business problems leading to a successful implementation. Supports team to meet project milestones, budget compliance and progress of project by facilitating sessions and setting expectations of all team members. Reports progress regularly to senior management. Holds team accountable to update and revise Airport Operations business manuals as procedures change or are updated. Develops compliance audits to self manage work. Develops and maintains technology tools to enhance tracking of security directives, LTI, OSHA compliance, etc develops training for frontline users in support of reduction of injuries and safety focus. Liaises with government entities to conduct joint investigations to address safety concerns as applicable. Develops responses to self-disclose United’s infractions as these occur to meet compliance and reduce fines. Manages employees by motivation, mentorship and accountability for individual performance. Develops employees through counseling, coaching and career planning forums. Responsible for setting objectives, developing goals and managing performance evaluation process for direct reports. Responsible for establishing annual cost center budget, meeting and reviewing spend to ensure budgetary targets are met.
- High School Diploma, GED or education equivalent
- Equivalent work experience
- OSHA 10 to 30 hour training
- Strong Operational Leadership
- Passion for service
- Drives performance
- Team leadership
- .Coaches/develops employees
- Promotes a safe working environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Minimum 2 - 4 years leadership experience in an Airport Operations Environment
- One to two years hub operational experience (above and below the wing)
- Responsible for a 24 hour, 7 day a week operation
- Must have the ability to work weekends
- Some travel may be required
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
- Bachelors Degree or related field experience in an airline operational environment
- Safety Certification, Continuous Improvement Green Belt Certification
- Strong knowledge of Hub operations which includes customer service, ramp operations and business acumen
- Excellent communication skills; including written and verbal
- Motivated individual that has demonstrated leadership ability in large department environment
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and Project Management Experience
- Previous experience managing in a union environment