We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
This position will be located in Chicago, IL or San Francisco, CA, depending on candidate need and hiring manager discretion.
The Director of Corporate Real Estate Planning and Development will oversee a team of staff resources while directly leading large scale airport development projects. This includes the completion of initiatives to plan, design and execute airport facility modification projects to make certain they are completed on time, on budget, in compliance with the following: airport operational need, corporate guidelines, jurisdictional code, airport lease requirements, other agreements, obligations and regulations to which the airline is bound. The leader in this role will collaborate with airport authorities to ascertain, understand and collaborate with the airport staff on facilities or other airport infrastructure projects to ensure the airline interests are accounted for and addressed.
Portfolio Planning, Development and Management
- Establish and maintain strong business relationships with airport leaders.
- Manage the current state of ongoing or planned projects by the airport to develop master plans that benefit the long success of United.
- Provide input on airline impacts and collaborate on revisions to the planning design or construction approach to satisfy the airline’s interests.
- Responsible for the development of long term capital improvement plans within their assigned portfolio which can include condition assessments, collaborating with Facilities Maintenance on maintenance plans that align with deferred maintenance capital projects.
- Implement initiatives and manages team to plan, design and execute airport and commercial property facility and infrastructure construction projects.
- Manage development, programming, planning, design, construction, schedule and budget related issues that pose challenges to the success of the project by drawing on knowledge of the the planning, design, construction process knowledge and experience.
- Accountable for the compliance with budget, schedule and scope of the projects within regional portfolio per the approved business case requirements including benefits realized.
- Ensure governance of the PMLC (UA and CRE), artifacts, and guidelines.
- Responsible for the utilization of any PMLC process and standards.
- Manages and audits PMLC deliverables.
- Responsible for the utilization of Project Database, PM Artifacts, workflows, forms, Project Management Guidelines etc by self and team.
- Use and ensure utilization of CRE Project tools such as Sharepoint, Microsoft Project, Oracle and others as defined by need.
- Ensure that projects meet defined metrics.
- Responsible and accountable for transparent, accurate, consistent project reporting (weekly, monthly and quarterly).
- Serve on governance board of all projects within team’s portfolio.
- Effectively lead teams by establishing department and individual goals.
- Oversee the department and individual performance and improvement plans.
- Responsible for coaching, counseling, assisting employees to develop individual career development and training plans.
- Use technical knowledge experience combined with business acumen to provide thoughtful decision making and guidance in strategic implementation of United’s objectives and initiatives.
- Is solution oriented and committed to a creating and sustaining a culture of continuous improvement and innovation.
- Models integrity, possesses self-awareness and fosters an environment of accountability.
- Will be held accountable for providing constant and transparent communication to their Team, Leadership, Stakeholders and Customers.
- Mentor and develop a team that is empowered and engaged
- Bachelor’s Degree of Science plus relevant experience
- 50% travel required
- Minimum 10 years planning, design and construction experience plus at least 2 or more years of experience in aviation
- Experience managing a team of direct reports
- Conversant in design and engineering techniques, airport airfield designations, understand design and construction management process and vernacular, understanding of best practices of Portfolio, Program and Project Management (PMBoK)
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
- Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, Aviation Management and Planning
- PMP, LEED, Black Belt, PE, RA certifications
- Background in construction safety, capital improvement planning for facilities, facility management, aviation master planning, possess understanding of bond financing process and requirements
- Knowledge of FAA, ICAO, IATA standards, guidelines and requirements that relate to planning and design of airport infrastructure and facilities