Job Title: Intern – Customer Service Delivery (Summer 2018)
Company OverviewUnited Airlines is a leading global carrier focused on being the airline customers want to fly, employees want to work for and shareholders want to invest in. Against the backdrop of industry-wide consolidation and historic levels of profitability, United has transformed into a financially strong company. Built on a culture of Working Together, United is well positioned to deliver meaningful profitability and sustainable long-term value for our shareholders. Highlights of United Airlines include:
- World’s most comprehensive global route network, including world-class international gateways to Europe, Asia, Latin America, Australia, Africa and the Middle East, with non-stop or one-stop service from virtually anywhere in the U.S.;
- Optimal hub locations including key business centers and global gateways such as New York/Newark, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles;
- A modern, customer-pleasing and fuel-efficient fleet of nearly 700 mainline and more than 500 regional aircraft; and
- Mileage Plus, the industry-leading loyalty program providing members the most opportunities to earn and use miles.
Customer Service Delivery OverviewCustomer Service Delivery is the newest organization at United Airlines; it includes all of United’s customer-facing teams. Customer Service Delivery includes Airport Operations, Inflight Services, Catering Operations, Customer Contact Centers and Global Operations Strategy, Planning and Design. The organization focuses on providing a consistent, positive travel experience at every point in the customers’ journey from booking to landing.
Job DescriptionThis internship combines a student's academic and career interests with valuable work experience in the commercial air carrier environment. Our internship assignments provide hands-on, real-world experience for 12 weeks in the summer of 2018. As an intern with United, you are more than a student – you are a member of our team.Throughout the course of the program, interns will be responsible to their respective work location, but there may be projects that have heavy emphasis or travel to hub or line stations within our network. In addition, valuable training, facility tours, airport experiences and other benefits are what make United Airlines the premier company for an internship.Responsibilities include the following (but are not limited to):
- Serve as an internal consultant, providing business analyses to management of various operating divisions on challenges and opportunities facing the airline. This may include one or more of the following: strategy, innovation and process improvement initiatives, performance analysis and data visualization, baggage performance, change management, safety and regulatory compliance, supply chain development and station operations planning.
- Analyze information gathered, interpret data from various sources, and consider available solutions or alternative methods of proceeding to create data-driven decision process improvement recommendations for United’s operational divisions: Airport Operations, Catering Operations, Inflight Services and Customer Contact Centers.
Create and manage implementation and communication for projects assigned
Critical Skills and Experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong analytical skills required
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to adapt to a fast-paced, changing environment
- Applicant must be a current undergraduate student with an anticipated graduation in 2019 or 2020 pursuing a degree in Business Management, Industrial Engineering, Economics, Finance or other business-based / analytical fields
- Applicant must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship or future sponsorship for a full/part time position