We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
The United IT team designs, develops and maintains massively scaling technology solutions that are brought to life with innovative architectures, data analytics and digital solutions.
Job overview and responsibilities
Member of the Network Engineering Group with primary responsibility for aircraft IT, major areas are: onboard automation, onboard networks, air-to-ground networks and aircraft to airport networks. Specific functions are:
- Liaison within IT and to other divisions on all aircraft IT related developments,
- Provide communication and guidance for individual project initiatives to ensure efficiency and compliance with Enterprise Architecture network and security guidelines, principles and the Aircraft IT vision,
- Participate in ARINC AEEC Subcommittees and industry activities to influence where appropriate and ensure United is aware of external influences,
- Work with various divisions/vendors to establish an onboard Aircraft IT architecture model and drive current and future vendor solutions towards commonality on all aircraft.
Projects, Initiatives and Industry Activities
- Aircraft Internet Connectivity Project (Thales, Panasonic and Gogo):
- IT Network Architectural representative on project, participate in vendor avionic connectivity system enhancements and modification requirements development, vendor design reviews and vendor contract negotiations,
- Definition and requirement work on Content Management System (CMS) and Content Distribution System (CDS),
- Provide Network Architectural guidance in following areas: in-flight WiFi connectivity, Gatelink connections to ground WiFi network, CMS/CDS support of customer portal and on-demand video content directly from movie studios, etc.
- Aircraft Gatelink WiFi connections to Airport ground network,
- Bachelors degree, preferably in Information Technology or Business or equivalent experience, education, or training
- At least 2 years of experience in IT systems, networking and wireless infrastructures
- Understanding of Linux based systems
- Knowledge of firewalls, proxies, DNS servers, VPN tunneling, network configuration and firewall event monitoring
- Knowledge of various security related areas (i.e. networking, wireless authentication, PCI, etc.)
- At least 2 years of experience in aircraft avionics systems and data link connectivity
- Understanding of avionics component and system design, development, certification and installation processes, procedures and regulations