We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
Technical Operations is the maintenance, repair and overhaul division of United. The department includes aircraft maintenance technicians, engineers, planners, ground equipment and facilities teams, supply chain teams and more.
Job overview and responsibilities
Studies, analyzes, and seeks solutions to problems related to the design, operation, maintenance, performance, modification, or repair of aircraft, and their components. Focus is on Avionics discipline including autopilot/navigation, communication and indication aircraft systems. Plans, directs and controls moderate to high risk projects associated with the modification and support of aircraft, engines, or the components. Feasibility studies and requirement document development for new systems, products or upgrades. Supports development of maintenance programs, configurations, and serviceability criteria ensuring safe and legal operations. Analyzes and recommends or implements regulatory requirements. Defines engineering, certification and operational parameters for new aircraft, engine or component systems. Evaluates the effects of modifications or new equipment on reliability, performance, and cost. Authors, designs, and tests prototype change orders, project plans, action item lists and presentations. Creates/revises Engineering Authorizing Documents. Prepares reports, specifications, and drawings to support certification processes. Provides on-site/on-call technical support for production and daily line operations. Supports warranty recovery actions, and fulfills customer contract requirements. Additionally, specific assignments may include project management, travel, team building, report writing, studying and evaluating the acquisition of new aircraft into the fleet, vendor management and industry meetings.
- Organize and manage the priorities for assigned responsibilities and accomplish the work processes to meet all the deliverables for projects or maintenance program changes/technical specification revisions
- Coordinate work with other operational groups to ensure airworthiness, safety, regulatory compliance, operational reliability, and operational efficiency
- This position develops solutions and implementation plans, project justification, cost/benefit analysis, management of project implementation, technical support, and obtaining FAA approvals as required
- Provide front line on site implementation of projects, along with on-site support for all pilot projects in area of expertise
- Includes support of documentation updates, and processes
- B.S. degree in Engineering, preferably in Electrical/Electronic or Computer Engineering
- Engineering skill sets which can be applied to a range of fleet and ATA specific aircraft systems, these skills include, but are not limited to, analysis of complex technical issues, highly detailed level project development/management for regulatory compliance modifications, and overall ownership of specific systems
- Knowledge of FARs, airworthiness design and substantiation criteria, aircraft and equipment design and operational characteristics, aircraft materials and processes
- Experience related to detailed cost/benefit analysis of projects as well as effectively engaging cross-functional stakeholders
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- This position will be hired as either an Engineer-Level 6, Senior Engineer-Level 5 or Principal Engineer-Level 4; the selection will based on level of experience
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
- Knowledge of air carrier operations