We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
Technical Operations is the maintenance, repair and overhaul division of United. The department includes aircraft maintenance technicians, engineers, planners, ground equipment and facilities teams, supply chain teams and more.
Job overview and responsibilities
Provide engineering technical support for component shops conducting repair and overhaul of aircraft components. Develop and provide technical disposition, repair specifications, and procedures that result in safe, legal, reliable and cost effective engineering solutions. Provide cross utilization skill support of systems and structures component teams. Take a leadership role in ensuring United's technical excellence in the area of responsibility.
Service Engineering Component Support
Provide on-site and remote technical support for repair development and technical disposition related to the design, operation, maintenance, performance, modification and/or repair of aircraft components. Develop and substantiate safe, timely and cost effective repairs and procedures. Interpret and implement legally mandated actions, maintenance programs, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drawings and Component Maintenance Manuals.
Provide engineering disposition for technical issues
Write concise technical documents for the testing, repair and overhaul of structural components to comply with manufacturer documents or legal requirements
Gather relevant data, report shop findings and initiate corrective action in support of root cause determination on in-service problems or operational issues
Work with other engineering departments in evaluation and prototype of new projects
Study, analyze, and seek solutions to production issues related to design, operation, performance, modification, or repair of components
Support out of service and damaged aircraft as needed
Work as a liaison between engineering, maintenance, vendors and manufacturers to ensure legal compliance and economic engineering solutions
- Investigate, develop & implement repair processes, procedures for assigned components as well as ad hoc requests. Efficiently use a variety of sources for developing effective repair schemes for boosting component reliability within acceptable cost parameters. The sources include (but not limited to):
Data analytics teams
Vendor/OEM data (Service Bulletins, tear down reports, etc.)
Must be capable in determining the validity and acceptability of the data as well as assist in challenging the vendor in making changes/corrections.
Subject matter experts (engineers, mechanics, etc.)
Shop & OEM production
Vendor Management (including recommendations/criteria on how to select vendors, assist in contract development, etc.)
Strength and utilization of materials in the proper environments
Capable of interpreting aircraft maintenance manuals (AMM) and fault isolation manuals (FIM)
This position will be hired as either a Senior Engineer-Level 5 or Principal Engineer-Level 4; the selection will be based on level of experience, qualifications and certifications.
- Senior Engineer (level 5) requires a minimum of 5 years at an engineer level or similar role elsewhere in the industry and component maintenance experience and experience with airline or OEM design and repair development
- Principal Engineer (level 4) requires a minimum of 10 years at an engineering level or similar role elsewhere in the industry and background in component maintenance and extensive experience with leading large scale engineering projects in addition to level 5 skills
- Experience providing engineering support for component shops preferred
- Skilled with composite and/or structural repairs preferredRequired
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering and/or equivalent work experience
- Proficient in interpreting Component Maintenance Manuals and Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drawings ,as well as blueprints for Avionics Engineering positions
- Knowledgeable of engineering practices used in the maintenance, repair and overhaul of aircraft and components
- 5-10+ years component engineering experience
- Background in engineering component maintenance support
- Up to 25% travel is expected. Destinations include OEMs, repair shops, etc.
- Mechanical, Electrical Engineering degrees
- Advanced degree
- Licensed FAA Mechanic
- Knowledgeable of airworthiness, repair substantiation criteria and regulatory requirements specifically 14 CFR Part 25, 121 and 145
- Highly skilled with engineering practices used in the maintenance, repair and overhaul of aircraft and components
- Background in engineering maintenance support
- Experience with CAD software/CATIA
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualifications
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
- United will consider applicants with criminal histories consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance